May 27, 2015

hammocks & chacos


Yesterday I was given the incredibly generous going away trail present of a gift card to Great Outdoor Provision Company. I've been tumbling the idea of sleeping in my new Eno hammock instead of my tent around in my head, and the gift card would make this a possibility - I wouldn't be able to justify spending the money on a nice, lightweight, Eno brand tarp otherwise. I'd save 2.5 pounds, and, I mean, I'd get to sleep in a hammock. Part of me is scared of the idea, a la The Roly-Poly Pudding (right??), but most of me thinks it be cozy, and I'd get that air conditioner hammock effect that Enos have instead of the stuffy tent effect. I could string Bix's cable underneath me and hook his leash up to it so he'd have movement but still be protected from rain, and animals (raccoons and possums and the like, anyway) would probably be more inclined to stay away.

The other thing I've been considering is leaving my boots behind and hiking in Chacos. It'd save me another pound and a half, and between that and the hammock idea, I'd bring my pack weight (sans food and water) down from 20.5 pounds to 16.5 pounds. I want to bring my Chacos for when I need to cross creeks and rivers that don't have bridges or handy rocks and to wear at camp when I've spent all day in my boots - but then why bring the boots at all, if the Chacos will do? The arch support is great, I've been breaking them in nicely, and they're made to be sturdy.  I have a friend who hiked the Appalachian Trail with an 11-pound pack and Tevas, he told me about it when I was 17 and wide-eyed about all things backpacking, and it stuck with me. If you can hike the AT in Tevas, you can hike the MST in Chacos... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment