July 26, 2015


Alright, here goes. The conclusion. I am still disappointed in myself for quitting, I hate quitting, I dislike quitters, but the thing is: this is my year. This is a year I have taken to push myself out of my comfort zone and to figure out what I like doing and what I don't, what I want to do the rest of my life, who I want to be. And I don't want to spend two and a half more months feeling miserable and lonely just to prove that I can hike across North Carolina. I would love to have hiked the trail, but I don't want to hike the trail. As Ben & Jerry's would ask, "If it's not fun, why do it?" and it was not fun or lucrative or productive or enlightening, so I decided not to do it. And I don't want to bash the MST, it does have some growing up to do in terms of blazes and ease of following and campsites, but it has such potential to be a wonderful little trail, and if someone is out there reading this and feels discouraged about the MST - I think it could be a really great experience as it is now if you do it with someone else or really like being on your own.

Okay. Now that the excuses etc are out of the way. Next step! I've decided to take Bixby and George Weasley the Hyundai Elantra on the road and travel around volunteering on family owned organic farms through WWOOF USA. People! Connections! Driving! Physical labor! Beds! Fresh food! Contact to the outside world! I'll be starting as early as next weekend, and will continue writing about my adventures here. See ya on the flip side, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment